Friday, April 18, 2014

Pillow Popping....

Yesterday I decided it time that my tired, old, grubby sofa cushions got a makeover. For the most part prompted by how tired and old they look beside the lovely new cushion I made with my blogger bundle. So I got cutting and sewing. Love how quick making cushion covers is.



I really love the plus pillow....much more than I thought I would. The pattern was by Katy and in the notes she suggested a monochromatic version with different values and I immediately knew what I wanted to try. Monochromatic is not totally me, but the pop of aqua works so well to lift all the red.


This pattern is called Crimson Stones by Joan. The original in the book was made with Innocent Crush against Kona Coal and was a bit more dramatic than this version as you can imagine. But I made this with my blogger bundle fabrics and added some red centre squares, as my living room has a lot of red and I'm pretty sure it is going to work really nicely on my sofa alongside this cushion:



Both patterns are from the Pillow Pop book which is one of the few quilting books I own that I would like to make more than 2 or 3 items from. I really love this little book. There'll be a few more patterns made from it before I'm done.


Now to decide how to quilt them.

I am pretty sure I am going to machine quilt the plus pillow cross-hatch style.

But I'm not sure about the other one. I could do dense machine quilting. Or I could hand quilt it. My other blogger bundle pillow is hand quilted so the two would work well together if I did that. Opinions anyone?

And have a lovely, chocolatey Easter :-)

10 comments:

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

They look fantastic. I always love the look of handquilting (even though I never do it!)

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, I love these! I have to say I'm terrible at choosing quilting designs, but the best advice I ever got was to get a sheet of perspex (from the DIY shop), and a dry wipe marker, place it over the top and try things out :o)

Kay said...

Absolutely fab!!! The plus cushion is my favourite, just came over after having seen it finished on Facebook. xx

Leanne said...

I love your blogger's bundle. All the pillows are lovely, I am sure you will pick a nice quilting plan too.

Canadian Abroad said...

Love the cushions, but must admit my sofa is so ugly and grubby I am campaigning for a new one. I think that a charcoal grey sofa would (a) hide the dirt, and (b) be a great background for cushions. I am slowly winning my argument here.

Svetlana said...

beautiful cushions. Love, love, love!!!

margaret said...

love all 3 of these, re quilting, I have yet to,learn how to machine quilt if you have the time it would be nice to have some hand and some machine quilted, seems you work pretty fast so they should not take long either way. Must have a go with the machine as I have 4 quilts waiting to be done!

Patricia Lessell said...

Love them all.

Linda Coleman said...

so jealous, they are great, love the fabrics and colours

Karen said...

What gorgeous cushions! Now feeling truly inspired to make some for home :)